The end of summer is nearing, our thoughts are heading toward our Fall season plans, the holidays… my, where did summer go?
We’re celebrating the Summer season in all its glory with our Fairies of the Forest Twilight Soiree menu that includes this fabulous fruity combination of late summer plums and slivered almonds. I personally love this lightly spiced cake for breakfast too, or a snack… you catch my drift? This humble cake is great any time of day, at any meal.
I like to make this cake in a 9″ springform pan, as it comes out of the pan ready to be set right on your table or buffet. If you don’t have one, a round cake pan will work just fine, you just can’t serve it in the pan. (I guess you can, what do I know!)
When you are setting the plums on the batter, leave enough space between the pieces to allow you to evenly scatter the almond slivers between the plum quarters. Arrange the plums in two concentric circles, the outer and inner circles facing the opposite directions. Here’s a photo of how it should look.
This is one of those recipes that you can make several weeks ahead and keep in the freezer tightly wrapped until needed.
When I’m designing one of my parties, I always try to plan on having several make-ahead recipes on the menu. A host should be able to enjoy her party just as much as her guests do!
INSPIRATION COMES IN MANY FORMS
And this is where the inspiration for the Fairies in the Forest Twilight Soiree came from. Perfectly Purple Plums.
I scored a big ‘ole basket full of large, ripe plums so I’m going to make a few of these beauties to freeze and take to several pot-luck dinners we’ll be attending in the next month or so. My mantra when it comes to time spent in the kitchen is, “work smart, not hard”. Words to live by…
Come join the gang in our Facebook group and get in on the gabfest at, The Fab Life, where we show off our triumphs and share our pursuit of “the good life” with each other all week long.
Don’t forget to sign up for your twice weekly visits from Ingredients For A Fabulous Life. You don’t want to miss out on something fabulous, do you? Use the form on the right of this page to start receiving our fabulous posts and newsletter today! We can’t wait for you to become a member of our community!
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb. plums, pitted and quartered
- Slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. with rack in center of oven.
- Butter a 9" springform pan or cake pan
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl or your KitchenAid, cream the butter and sugar on a low speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract and beat until combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk, beginning with the flour mixture. Beat the batter well to combine between each addition.
- Pour the thick batter into the prepared pan and smooth top. Arrange plum quarters in two concentric circles, facing opposite directions (see photos). Leave space between pieces and then scatter the almond slivers evenly scattered the plums.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until golden brown and the center tests done.
This cake freezes beautifully, so it's a perfect make-ahead dessert for a party, or a lovely breakfast for weekend guests.