ARE YOU WONDERING WHY YOU SHOULD KNOW …
HOW TO MAKE BURNT SUGAR SYRUP? WHAT IT TASTES LIKE? 4 WAYS TO USE BURNT SUGAR SYRUP?
Burnt sugar is essentially sugar that has melted and caramelized. It has notes of sweetness with very subtle, yet complex hints of bitterness. It’s a rich, dark-brown, thick liquid that provides a one-of-a-kind flavor and color to any dish in which it’s used.
And I’m giving you 4 ways to use Burnt Sugar Syrup too.
Working with sugar can be intimidating, but this syrup is so simple and quick to make that you’ll want to have some in the refrigerator waiting for when inspiration hits.
But you don’t need much inspiration, because here are 4 ways to use Burnt Sugar Syrup!
WHAT CAN YOU MAKE WITH BURNT SUGAR SYRUP?
BURNT SUGAR APRICOT HAMANTASCHEN COOKIES
Let’s start with the reason this recipe appears in our Ingredients For A Fabulous Life Recipe Index – Burnt Sugar Apricot Hamantaschen. It’s a delicious combination of tangy apricots with a hint of the burnt sugar syrup to sweeten the filling.
The traditional treat of the Jewish holiday PURIM, the hamantaschen is a triangle-shaped cookie that can have any number of fillings.
My Burnt Sugar Apricot Hamantaschen are extra-pretty with white sesame seed borders and topped with crumbled Black Sesame Seed Brittle. They are simply delectable and a breeze to make.
BURNT SUGAR OLD FASHIONED COCKTAIL
- Combine 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, 3/4 ounce burnt sugar syrup and a dash of bitters in a rocks glass. Add a large ice cure and stir. Rub rim of glass with an orange slice and garnish.
SALTED DEEP CARAMEL SAUCE
- Heat 1 cup burnt sugar syrup in a small saucepan over medium-low heat
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup heavy cream in a second saucepan over low heat. When the burnt sugar syrup is hot, slowly whisk in the warm cream and continue simmering the mixture until it is smooth, another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, whisk in 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, then add up to 3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste. Serve warm.
BURNT SUGAR CARAMEL CAKE
A really talented woman, Sally McKenney runs a fabulous blog called Sally’s Baking Addiction. I’ve been following her a while now and am never disappointed in any of her fabulous recipes.
She is completely self-taught, but found that she has the heart and soul of a baker inside. Not only does she have an successful food blog, Sally is also the author of 3 cookbooks on baking too! I told you she was talented!
I wanted to share Sally’s recipe for Burnt Sugar Caramel Cake, because it’s one more really delicious way to use your Burnt Sugar Syrup!
SO, NOW YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE BURNT SUGAR SYRUP, DON’T YOU?
I bet you do! Now that you’ve got all these delicious ways to use it, you need the recipe.
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
1. In a medium skillet, add the sugar and heat over medium-high heat. Stir constantly, cooking until the sugar melts, about 5-7 minutes. The sugar will clump and seize, but just continue to stir until it is completely melted.
2. Continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar turns a dark brown, foams and just begins to smoke. PUT ON A HOT MITT AND WATCH CAREFULLY, THIS HAPPENS VERY QUICKLY!
3. Immediately, but very carefully, remove skillet from heat.
4. While stirring constantly, carefully pour in the HOT water and continue stirring until the splattering is finished and water is fully incorporated.
5. Return pan to medium-high heat and cook until the mixture thickens and dime-sized bubbles appear on the surface of the syrup. About 2-4 minutes.
6. Allow to cool, keeps in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
WHAT WILL YOU MAKE WITH YOUR BURNT SUGAR SYRUP?
After you’ve made a batch of Burnt Sugar Syrup, what will you do with it? Do you have any questions that I can help with? I know working with sugar might worry you a bit, but I’m here to help you when you need me!
Tell us how you used your Burnt Sugar Syrup, won’t you? Hop over to The Fab Life Facebook Group and you can show us too! Or, of course, you can scroll down and comment below this post as always!
YOU’RE NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET? Why not join in on the fun!
There’s always something fabulous happening here at Ingredients For A Fabulous Life, you don’t want to miss out, do you?
Join the IFAFL Email Subscriber List to get instant access to the IFAFL Resource Library and receive our twice-weekly emails. Just fill out the form on the HOME PAGE to start receiving our newsletters and start printing out all the FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS.
Come join the gang in our Facebook group and get in on the gabfest at, The Fab Life! That’s where we show off our triumphs and share our pursuit of “the good life” with each other all week long.