HOW TO DO A CLOSET CLEAN-OUT – Well, not immediately…
Don’t feel ready to start to do a closet clean-out just yet? GOT THE CLOSET ORGANIZATION BLUES?
Here’s the train-of-consciousness conversation I had with myself as I tried to get my tushie in gear … (a little satirical, I admit!)
Geez, I don’t think I can find any room for my holiday presents in that closet… 1 purse, boots, oh man…
I’ll just print out some handy-dandy closet organization worksheets and whip this out in one afternoon!
Really, one afternoon? You’re nuts girl. It’ll take that long just for your purses and shoes!
All right, I’ll get started right now, while I’m motivated! Where’s that box of plastic garbage bags?
Oh, wait, you need to have boxes too. I don’t have any. Good, I mean that’s okay, it can wait a few days, right? YES, indeedy! Where’s my kindle?
I’m revved up and ready to go! Boxes, check! I’m using the “boxing closet organization method” this time. No garbage bags. My favorite podcast is cued up and I’m ready to go!
Okay, I’ll get started with the toughest thing first, opening the doors! What’s going to pop out and hit me on the head this time? Just close your eyes and do it already!
One, two, three… crash, bang, bonk… no worries! Only 1 purse and two hats this time. Not too bad. Maybe the “how to do a closet clean out” post can wait!
No, no, you’ve got to get this post out AND do a closet clean out too.
Okay, let me get a Coke and I’ll get started. “April, do you need to go out?” (she’s our Boston Terrier)
Now that I’m upstairs maybe I should grab a little bite, to keep me going. Where’s that brie?
I’m really ready now. Let me just label these boxes first. Donations. Give away. Mending. Seasonal Storage.
Since I’m being so ambitious, I’ll start with my purses. I love purses. (sliding one from its felt bag) Oh, I totally forgot about this buffalo plaid backpack. I really should clean these out as I go along, oh wow, I’ve been looking for that lipstick!
My purple Phillip Lim 3.0 satchel … oh here’s our Broadway tickets to Mean Girls from our Thanksgiving trip. That was so much fun. I wonder where I put the Playbill?
Ya know, I’m going to need garbage bags after all, for all that crap in my purses. (and I’m off … not to return that day)
`And so it went… for three more days before I finished the seemingly endless task that had eluded me for so long.
NOTE FROM NAN: Now that I’ve read it, it’s not so satirical after all. Because of my blogging schedule it really did take me three days to finish! It won’t take you nearly as long with my tips and hacks, I pinky-promise!
HOW TO DO A CLOSET CLEAN-OUT, FOR REAL THIS TIME!
** WHILE I WAS ON A “BREAK”, I JOINED “STITCH FIX” AND I’M TAKING YOU ALONG FOR THE RIDE!! KEEP READING TO FIND OUT HOW THE “STITCH FIX” SIGN UP HAPPENED… I SWEAR I WAS JUST TAKING A “LITTLE BREAK”…
TRY THIS EASY “BOXING CLOSET ORGANIZATION METHOD” TO KICK-START YOUR CLOSET CLEAN-OUT
If being surrounded by garbage bags overflowing with unwanted clothes makes you feel like the trash-man, no problem.
Here’s how to do a closet clean out with less anxiety, stress, time, and NO garbage bags in sight:
- Gather boxes or storage bins and blank sheets of paper/pen
- Use boxes to store folded items that no longer fit or you think don’t want
- As you put a piece of clothing in the box, add it to that box’s contents list
- You can separate the boxes by categories if you wish (shoes with purses, jeans and slacks)
- When a box if filled, close and tape the contents list on top
- Store the boxes away for 6-8 weeks, the length of a wardrobe season (make them accessible)
- If you haven’t rummaged through your boxes to retrieve an item, you probably can get rid of it with no regrets
- This rule does not apply for special event or evening wear. You might want to give yourself a bit more time to reconsider keeping an evening gown or tuxedo jumpsuit . It might just need new accessories!
- Otherwise, ditch, donate or give it away. If you haven’t felt the need for a boxed item in that time frame, you’ll have absolutely no remorse whatsoever.
Try this “Boxing Closet Organization Method” of doing a closet clean out with less stress, pain and anxiety! Who’s your Bestie now?
MORE TIPS FOR DOING A CLOSET CLEAN-OUT WITH LESS STRESS
TOSS OUT YOUR DUPLICATES – Get ruthless!
So you’ve counted three grey cardigans, six button-down white shirts, and more black leggings than an octopus can wear. But, unless each of the duplicated items have stand-out detailing that makes them a “necessary” piece, you don’t need that many of each.
Personally, I understand that when a fabulous silk blouse is on sale, you sometimes pull an Oprah. Buy it in multiple colors!
Probably not one of the better ideas you had when building your wardrobe capsules. It takes some control and patience to put together a fabulous color capsule wardrobe! Not to mention, planning. That’s key.
Look through your options. Keep what works best with the most pieces in your wardrobe and that you like best. Make sure it’s in great condition too! Toss the remainder, you most likely won’t even miss the extras.
“SOME DAY” NEVER COMES… GET OVER IT!
Yes, I’m afraid to say, it’s time to get rid of those “when my waist was tiny” low-rise denims. The same goes for any dress that’s “a bit too short”, or that blouse that is now too tight across your chest.
No, SOME DAY never really does come. Period. Some day is a trap that you don’t want to step into during your closet clean-out. JUST SAY NO. Get rid of these items and don’t look back. It’s too scary a sight!
IF IT DOESN’T GIVE YOU THE “WARM FUZZIES”, DITCH IT!
Ask Yourself These Questions When You Look At An Outfit In The Mirror —
- Do I feel like “a million bucks”?
- Can I conquer the world in this ensemble?
- Does this outfit make me look “fabulous”?
- Am I confident in my appearance?
IF THE ANSWERS ARE A RESOUNDING “YES”, THEN DO THIS NEXT:
- Check each piece of clothing you’re keeping for stains, tears, loose buttons, etc.
- Make a pile for mending to go to the tailor/dry cleaner (if you do it yourself, put it in your sewing “to do” bin)
- If it just needs cleaning, determine whether it can be done at home or needs professional service
- Place the items in a tote near your front door to take next time you pass your tailor or dry cleaner
AND THAT’S HOW YOU DO A CLOSET CLEAN OUT!
That’s a wrap friends! I know we started off with a little closet organization “setback humor”, but you’ve got this! Now you have the know-how to do a closet clean-out for yourself.
Get started and don’t look back. You’ll be thanking your new bestie, Nan, while sipping a Margarita at happy hour this Friday.
No doubt because you’ll look so fabulous in the dress you found stuffed in the back of your messy closet!
The matching shoes too, huh? Yes, I noticed! You’re welcome my lovelies!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF STITCH FIX? Yeah, me too, but have you tried it yet?
Mind you, I have checked out Stitch Fix in the past. As I’m always looking for what’s new in my my very own “www.com”, the Wonderful World of Wardrobes! Hence my love of In Style magazine, especially the September issue!
Stitch Fix is a great “shopping service” that allows you to work with a stylist. They shop for you, according to your style profile preferences, and then deliver your personalized “FIX” to your doorstep.
Since I was due a break (I’d been working a 40 whole minutes!), I decided to look into their services again.
How Stitch Fix Sign-Up Works:
- Tell them your price range, size & style. You’ll pay just a $20 styling fee, which gets credited toward pieces you keep.
- Get a “Fix” when you want. Try on pieces at home before you buy, keep your favorites and send back the rest.
- Free shipping, returns & exchanges—a prepaid return envelope is included. There are no hidden fees, ever.
- No subscription required. Try Stitch Fix once or set up automatic deliveries.
SO, NEXT THING I KNOW, I’VE SCHEDULED A “fix” FOR NEXT WEEK!
So, here’s how the Stitch Fix sign-up went down: (it took about 10 minutes)
- General sign up info input
- Sizes you are currently wearing
- Preferred fit (loose, tight, etc.)
- What colors are a No-No?
- Denim fit preferences (waist, skinny, boot-cut, etc.)
- Stores you currently buy from
- Jewelry styles (gold, silver, pierced ear, etc.)
- Occasion frequency (office wear/casual/night out/special events)
- Adventurous Level (never/sometimes/always)
- Price range you use by category (outerwear, shoes, dresses, etc.)
- Personal info
- Notes to your stylist
- SCHEDULE A “FIX”!
NEXT, I TOOK A FEW “POP-QUIZZES” TO “REFINE” MY STYLE PROFILE
With less than eight minutes more of my precious “BREAK” from my closet clean-out duties, I took a few pop-quizzes. These 1-2 minute quizzes are designed to help REFINE your personal style profile for your stylist’s use.
The quizzes are not mandatory when you do your Stitch Fix sign up. But, if you click on your profile icon in the top right corner, it takes you to the profile page with the quizzes. Here’s the topics they cover:
- What’s In Your Closet?
- Fit Challenges
- Distressed Denim
You’ll find that taking the mini-quizzes AND adding personal “notes to your stylist” are essential steps in the process.
Why not get all the benefits offered by working with a professional stylist? Taking advantage of their experience and expert advice is one of the smartest things you can do for your wardrobe!
WHO’S UP FOR TRYING “STITCH FIX” WITH ME?
Now that you’ve heard all about how Stitch Fix works, how about giving it a whirl with me?
I’ll be sharing my “wardrobe journey” both here in future posts, and also in THE FAB LIFE FACEBOOK GROUP. That’s where I’ll be able to give you an “insider’s” look into my CLOTHES SHOPPING WITH A STYLIST experience!
LET’S TRY IT OUT TOGETHER! JUST CLICK ON THIS LINK, AND I’LL GET CREDIT FOR YOU JOINING IN ON THE FUN!
I WANT TO JOIN TOO – TAKE ME TO SWITCH FIX NOW! http://stitchfix.com/invite/yvz8s3rpk3
Come join the gang in our Facebook group and get in on the gabfest at, The Fab Life, where we show off our triumphs and share our pursuit of “the good life” with each other all week long.
WHO’S IN? Let us know when your “fix” is arriving! How did you “love” your stylist’s choices? Head over to THE FAB LIFE and give us a shout!
WHEN YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO WEAR TO WHAT OCCASION –
Check out this post to make sure you are dressed appropriately for every social occasion on this season’s social calendar! Click here to read the post: The Ultimate Guide for What to Wear to Every Seasonal Occasion – Invitation Dress Codes Demystified
Not a member yet? Join the IFAFL Email Subscriber List to get instant access to the IFAFL Resource Library. Just fill out the form on the right of this page to start receiving our newsletters and start printing out our FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS.