NOT A BIG FAN OF EGGNOG? I’VE GOT THE SECRET WEAPON!
My homemade amaretto liqueur recipe. It’s supposedly bitter from almonds, but not too much. And it’s sweet, but, again, not really that sweet at all. Italian in origin, the almond liqueur is a lovely post-dinner tipple all by itself.
But the real magic happens when you start combining the bitter-sweet almond liqueur with citrus, cream, other spirits, etc. Amaretto brings out the flavors in other ingredients and mellows the entire concoction with its smooth bitter aftertaste.
If you’ve never enjoyed amaretto before, try it in the Amaretto Eggnog Cocktail recipe further down this post. It will be your new favorite holiday libation!
MY HOMEMADE AMARETTO LIQUEUR RECIPE IS THE SECRET TO A FABULOUS EGGNOG COCKTAIL RECIPE!
- 2 cups vodka
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp. almond extract (use a good quality brand)
- Place sugars into a small saucepan with 1 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until all sugar crystals are dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Pour cooled sugar syrup into a sterile glass container with a cover.
- Add vodka, vanilla beans and almond extract and stir to combine.
- Let stand for 7-10 days at room temperature. Strain mixture through fine cheesecloth and return to its container.
Your homemade amaretto will last about 6 months if kept at room temperature in a dark location.
FABULOUS COCKTAILS USING YOUR HOMEMADE AMARETTO LIQUEUR RECIPE
AMARETTO SOUR COCKTAIL RECIPE
- 2 ounces homemade amaretto liqueur recipe
- 2 ounces Lemon Drop Cocktail Mixer by the Pitcher
- Garnishes: Orange slice and 3 Simple Brandy Soaked Cherries
- Put ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Place some ice into a rocks glass.
- Add the Amaretto and Lemon Drop Cocktail Mixer to the shaker, cover and shake for 30 seconds to combine and chill the mixture.
- Strain the cocktail into the prepared rocks glass.
- Garnish with an orange slice and 3 Simple Brandy Soaked Cherries
AMARETTO EGGNOG COCKTAIL RECIPE
So, now you’ve got a homemade amaretto liqueur recipe that’s easy and versatile. I’ve already given you three cocktail recipes to use your amaretto stash. Now here’s one more that’s perfect for the winter holiday season, whether you profess to hate eggnog or not!
I’ve combined both amaretto and vodka into a fabulous eggnog cocktail that is crowned with a caramel-gingersnap crusted rim! If you’re looking for way to make eggnog a “crowd pleaser” at your holiday party, this recipe fits the bill.
You can prep the Amaretto Eggnog Cocktail glass rims before your guests arrive. Set them out on an attractive tray with a small bowl and spoon of extra gingersnap crumbs for garnish.
Are you feeling ambitious? Try making little star cut-out gingersnaps hangers for the rims of your Amaretto Eggnog Cocktails. Isn’t that adorable?
- 1 1/2 ounces homemade amaretto liqueur recipe
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces eggnog (store bought is great!)
- Dusting of freshly grated nutmeg
- Caramel sauce
- Gingersnap cookie crumbs
- Pour gingersnap crumbs onto a plate slightly larger than your cocktail glass rim. Do the same for caramel sauce, pouring it into a circle about the size of your glass' rim.
- Dip rim of glass in caramel sauce and then immediately dip into the cookie crumbs. Turn glass upright. and let dry. (you can do this step ahead of party and have a tray of glasses ready to fill)
- To assemble cocktail: Add ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add amaretto, vodka and eggnog to shaker. Cover and shake for one minute to combine and chill cocktail.
- Strain into a caramel-gingersnap rimmed glass, dust with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.
AMARETTO EGGNOG COCKTAIL AND FABULOUS EGGNOG GARNISHES
Here’s a list of some great eggnog garnish ideas for your eggnog or amaretto eggnog cocktail:
- Caramel rim
- Crushed peppermint candy rim (adhere with corn syrup)
- Crushed gingersnap cookie crumbs
- Flavored marshmallow cut-out shapes
- Brandy Soaked Cherries
- Nutmeg and cinnamon
- Whipped cream
- Pomegranate seeds
- Finely chopped chocolate
HOMEMADE AMARETTO LIQUEUR RECIPE – Amaretto Eggnog Cocktail!
Now who can say they still don’t like eggnog? Not me, that’s for sure! I hope you’ll give some or all of these fabulous recipes a try this holiday season. So easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
Not a member yet? Join the IFAFL Email Subscriber List to get instant access to the IFAFL Resource Library. Just fill out the form on the right of this page to start receiving our newsletters and start printing out our FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS.
Come join the gang in our Facebook group and get in on the gabfest at, The Fab Life, where we show off our triumphs and share our pursuit of “the good life” with each other all week long.