Bold Welch Rarebit with Apples and Watercress isn’t your traditional British Fave recipe! It’s a kicked up version that makes this humble “Sunday Night Fridge” dish an absolute gourmet repast!
BOLD WELCH RAREBIT WITH APPLES AND WATERCRESS
No, Bold Welch Rarebit with Apples and Watercress isn’t your everyday version of the classic British treat. My question to you is, have you ever made it at home? Until a few years ago, I hadn’t. Having enjoyed numerous lovely versions over the years, I hadn’t felt inclined to try.
Until the day I found a chunk of some incredible English Cheddar hidden in the depths of my refrigerator. And it was a Sunday too, can you believe it?
If you’re a frequent visitor to Ingredients For A Fabulous Life, you know I’m fond of “gilding the lily”.
Taking a recipe to the next level, or packaging my homemade gourmet dessert popsicles with custom-printed “pop stickers”. It’s just the way I roll.
And that’s exactly what I did for my Welch Rarebit with Apples and Watercress recipe.
So it should come as no surprise that I came up with another great variation on the theme. I love the combination of cheddar cheese and apples, and I love adding apples to salads. So with those ideas in mind, this recipe was born.
I simply used the same Bold Welch Rarebit sauce I created for my original recipe. But I added a layer of thinly sliced red apple on the toast.
Then spooned over the sauce, and garnished it with a lightly dressed combination of watercress and tender, baby arugula.
As a final flourish, I topped the greens with some sweet, red grapes.
I like the addition of a salad garnish, as it makes Bold Welch Rarebit with Apples and Watercress a balanced meal.
It’s simply an out-of-this world variation on a traditional Welch Rarebit recipe, but with tons more flavor and flair!
YOU’LL FIND THE PRINTABLE RECIPE AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
BOLD WELCH RAREBIT RECIPE
If you want to find out all about Welch Rarebit, and read the original post featuring my Bold Welch Rarebit recipe, click on this link:
YOU’RE NOT ON THE LIST YET? Why not join in on the fun!
There’s always something fabulous happening here at Ingredients For A Fabulous Life, you don’t want to miss out, do you?
Join the IFAFL Email Subscriber List to get instant access to the IFAFL Resource Library and receive our twice-weekly emails. Just fill out the form below and you’ll have exclusive access to all the FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS.
Come join the gang in our Facebook group and get in on the gabfest at, The Fab Life! That’s where we show off our triumphs and share our pursuit of “the good life” with each other all week long.
4 thick slices of rustic/wholegrain/rye bread
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. AP flour
2/3 cup pale ale or stout (a dark stout can discolor your final sauce)
1/3 cup half-and-half
3 cups strong, sharp cheddar (preferably a strong English or Irish Cheddar)
3 tsp. grainy mustard
2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce
2 egg yolks in a small bowl
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 large red, sweet apple
1 1/2 cups watercress, packed
1 1/2 cups arugula
2/3 cup red grapes, small whole, or halved
1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Toast bread slices on both sides under the broiler.· Place one slice of toast on each serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, add the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and cook for another minute until slightly golden brown.
- Increase heat to medium-low and add ale/stout and cream, whisking constantly. Start adding the cheese, stirring to melt between batches.
- Reduce heat back to low and add mustard, Worchestershire sauce and hot sauce, stirring to combine and cook one minute longer. Remove from heat and let cool 2 minutes.
- To the bowl of yolks, add 2 Tbsp. of cheese mixture, stirring quickly to temper the egg yolks.
- Add the tempered egg yolks to the cheese mixture and whisk to combine.
- Place saucepan back over low heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. (do not let mixture boil) Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice apple and place 3-4 slices on each piece of toast while rarebit is cooling.
- Add the watercress and arugula to the vinaigrette bowl and toss to lightly coat.
- Spoon a generous amount of Welch rarebit over each slice of toast and apples, then add 1/4 of the salad and 1/4 of the grapes to each plate. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1010Total Fat 75gSaturated Fat 40gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 27gCholesterol 283mgSodium 1608mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 13gProtein 46g
Calorie and fat counts will vary according to specific ingredients used.